Temporary Change in Department Procedures
Due to increased concern around Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and in our continued efforts in preventing its escalation, we encourage our Town residents to practice social distancing and following CDC and MA DPH recommendation for preventing the spread of the virus. For more information on what to do and how you can help we recommend monitoring the Town’s website at www.Ashfield.org for the latest on COVID-19. As always if you feel ill and suspect that you may have concern we urge you to consult your medical provider and if necessary call 911.
Additionally, the APD has implemented temporary changes around responding to calls with no immediate threat. The changes include:
- A determination if an officer response is required.
- A possible phone call from an officer to take a report instead of an in person report.
Additionally to aid in the prevention of spreading germs we are limiting visitors to the department. Fingerprinting, firearm licensing and other in person services will be conducted remotely as much as possible.
License to Carry (LTC) applications may be downloaded at this link (https://ashfield.org/DocumentCenter/View/774/Resident_LTC_FID_Application_20100315-PDF). Completed forms can be mailed to Ashfield Police Department at PO Box 355, Ashfield, MA 01330. Or you may drop it off at the town hall outside mailbox. Please include a $100 check payable to "Town of Ashfield". If you are 70 or older the fee is waived. The Chief will contact the applicant via phone and a limited in-person appointment will be scheduled for a later date.
If you are already licensed and are applying for a renewal prior to your license expiration date, assuming you have a received an acknowledgement from the chief, your license will remain valid until your new application is approved or denied.
Please be assured that all calls that are ongoing or with immediate threat will receive rapid police response. Although we would prefer to interact with people in person, everyone’s health and safety is our top priority.
We are working to keep ourselves healthy so that we may continue to provide our Town with the highest level of professional service.
The members of the Ashfield Police Department are committed to excellence in law enforcement and are dedicated to the citizens and traditions of Ashfield. We will provide a progressive level of service and protection to the public with integrity, understanding and compassion. We will achieve this goal by setting the highest standards of professionalism now and in the future.
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!
On December 14, 2018, Text-to-9-1-1 was deployed across the Commonwealth. This is one of the most exciting changes for accessibility to emergency services in more than 20 years. When a citizen sends a text message to 911, it will be routed to an emergency call center based on the location information provided by the carrier. For this reason, when a citizen sends a Text-to-9-1-1, they should make every effort to text the town name, address or location that they are located in. For more on Text-to-9-1-1 review this informative FAQ.
Ashfield Police Officers
|Patrol Officers||Auxiliary Officer|
|Fred Bezio||Dave Karbon|
|William Bissell||Gary Sibilia|
|Nicholas Feld||Kyle Walker|
Meet the Officer - Click on this link to get to know them.
Scheduled Office Hours
Due to response to calls and other responsibilities, we do not have scheduled office hours. Please call prior to coming to our office in order to make sure we are in. If you wish to schedule an appointment to see an officer, please leave a message on our voice mail. We will return your call as promptly as possible. To apply for If you require a new or renewal FID or LTC, please contact Chief Beth Bezio at 413-628-1930 or 413-628-4441 Ext 1 to schedule an appointment.
If you are not sure whether something is a scam please feel free to call the department to discuss it privately. Anything discussed and all matter will remain confidential.
- COVID-19 related scams (PDF)
- Chimney Sweep Scam (PDF)
- Year 2020 Scam (PDF)
- Social Security Call Scam (PDF)
- Hacked Facebook Scam (PDF)
- SMS Text Message Scam - Smishing (PDF)
- IRS Schemes Scam (PDF)
- Power Company Demand Scam (PDF)
- Tech-Support Scam (PDF)
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or comments please do not hesitate to call Chief Bezio at 413-628-4441 Ext: 1 or stop in at the station to discuss in person.
- All Night Parking Ban: As of December 1, 2017 it is unlawful to park vehicles on any street for a period of time longer than one hour between the hours of 11:00 PM and 8:00 AM. Any vehicle parked illegally under the section III of the Traffic Rules and Orders of the Town of Ashfield shall be towed and the owners of said vehicle shall be responsible for such towing charges. For information on this order refer to "All Night Parking Ban (Release 12/1/2017)".
- When should I call 911?
- Who should I call about a loose or problem dog, or a problem animal such as a sick raccoon or dead bird?
- Can the police department check my home or business while I am away on vacation?
- If on returning home I find my door open, should I go inside?
- I need to apply for or renew my pistol permit. How do I do this?