Firearms Safety

Massachusetts requires a license to possess firearms, including handguns, shotguns, and NFA firearms.

To possess a handgun lawfully in Massachusetts, you must have a License to Carry (LTC). To possess a rifle, shotgun, ammunition or chemical propellant spray (i.e. mace) lawfully, you must have a valid Firearms ID Card (FID) or a License to Carry (LTC). If you have a License To Carry, you do not also need an FID card. (See Massachusetts General Law c.140, §131 and §129B.)

Persons who are not citizens of the United States but are residents of Massachusetts may not possess large capacity rifles, shotguns, handguns or non-large capacity handguns. These persons may only possess non-large capacity rifles, shotguns, ammunition, and chemical propellant spray. (See Massachusetts General Law c.140, §131F and §131H.)

If you are in the process of moving to Massachusetts, you MUST have a valid License to Carry or Firearms ID card before you can legally bring your firearms into the state.

New or Renewal LTC or FID

Resident may apply for an LTC and FID by completing the LTC/FID License Application.

BOTH NEW and RENEWAL APPLICANTS need to complete this form and bring it to the police department along with a $100 fee. Persons filing for an LTC or FID for the first time must successfully complete a firearms safety or hunter safety course and attach a copy of the certificate of completion to the application. The applicant will be required to be photographed and fingerprinted.

LTC or FID Change of Address

Any LTC or FID cardholder is required by law to notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said card or license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such person is moving to and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. (See Massachusetts General Law c.140, §129B and §131(l).) Such notifications should be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence.   Complete and submit the Change of Address form to notify authorities.