The Town Clerk's responsibilities include recording and preserving the Town’s vital and permanent records in accordance with the Commonwealth statutes, providing quality public service and accessibility to public records and ensuring compliance with state mandated licensing and filing.
The Town Clerk conducts the annual town census, prepares the street list of residents and school list. The clerk furnishes the jury list to the Office of Jury Commissioner.
The Town Clerk serves on the local Board of Registrars and is responsible for the below listed election functions/duties:
- Overseeing elections, preparing ballots, absentee balloting and voter registration.
- Recording all actions of at the annual and the special town meetings, special voting sessions before every election and town meeting.
- Employing sufficient poll workers for the orderly conduct of an election and the polls.
- Preparing and reporting official election records and results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Certifying nomination papers.
- Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including town meeting legislation and appropriations, Planning and Zoning Board Decisions.
- Signs all notes for borrowing and keeps the Town Seal.
Registrar of Vital Statistics
Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records, and providrs this information to the Commonwealth for the central vital registration system.
Public Records Officer
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local committees and boards and ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed of the State’s Open Meeting Law and Conflict of Interest Laws. All elected and appointed officials are sworn to the faithful performance of their duties by the Town Clerk.
- Posts meeting notices of all government bodies.
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and assists in genealogical research for members of the public, and is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Submits bylaws and zoning bylaw amendments to the Attorney General for approval.
- Issues state licenses and permits including marriage licenses, county or local licenses, permits and certifications as mandated by statute or bylaw, includes burial permits, business certificates and dog licenses.
- Certification of any document or action recorded and filed in the Town Clerk's Office is the responsibility of the Town Clerk.